Many people in Australia identify themselves as Christians.
Many people in Australia also like to follow football.
If you are going to call yourself a footballer, BUT
- you don’t know the rules of football
- you don’t sacrifice your own time to do the things footballers do
- you don’t go to weekly training sessions
- you don’t have the boots and gear for playing football
- you don’t turn up to play football each weekend with the team
- you don’t work as a team on the field
- you don’t listen to your coach and captain
then you are not a footballer.
If you are going to call yourself a Christian BUT
- you don’t read the Bible
- you don’t know what Jesus Christ actually taught in the Bible
- you don’t sacrifice your own time to do the things Christ wants you to do
- you don’t try to live by the teachings of Jesus Christ
- you don’t meet regularly with Christians to encourage each other in your faith
- you don’t talk to God or listen to him when he tells you how to play the “Christian’ game
- more importantly, if you have not actually and specifically decided to stop living a life that is not pleasing to God
- and if you have not accepted God’s offer of salvation through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ
- and if you do not have the Holy Spirit living in you (Romans 8:9)
then you are not a Christian.